Public Relations Specialist, Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation, September 1997 – Present.
Write and edit news releases, speeches, print and web ads, and arrange interviews and stories to promote state parks while serving as an agency spokesperson. Write, direct and produce radio and television commercials, brochures, pamphlets, fliers, and other promotional materials.
Co-owner, Gresham House Gallery, September 2012 – March 2014.
Managed all operations of an art gallery representing more than 80 artists. Hired and supervised employees, designed and bought advertising, waited on customers, managed relationships with artists, and much more.
Worship Leader, Masonic Home of Virginia, March 2006 – Sept 2008. October 2010 – October 2012.
Planned and led vesper services monthly in the retirement community’s multi-denominational chapel.
Pastor, Crewe Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), July 2007 – April 2010.
Working for and with volunteer leaders and members with varying levels of education and professional experience, provided leadership for a small congregation. Created new events to help stimulate the congregation and community. Served as a de facto member of all committees and boards.
Director of Media Relations, World’s Toughest Rodeo, August 1996 – March 1997.
Created and managed publicity for the country’s largest indoor rodeo company. Wrote news releases, created and implemented special promotional events, (for example, we spray-painted a bull in Chicago and called him “Rodman the Bull,”) also arranged and conducted print, radio and television interviews and stories in 19 cities across the country, including Tampa, Detroit, Chicago, and Cleveland. Served as a spokesperson in the media and as a liaison between the rodeo, contestants, sponsors, and arena personnel.
Communications Coordinator, ISED, August 1995 – August 1996.
Volunteer in Service to America, VISTA, volunteer for the Institute for Social and Economic Development, a state-wide, nonprofit organization that helps Iowans start and expand small businesses, and a nationally recognized research company. Created and implemented the organization’s promotional plan. Wrote and designed ads, news releases, external and internal newsletters, brochures, and other promotional materials.
Reporter, KCJJ AM 1560, September 1994 – February 1996.
Interviewed subjects, wrote anchor scripts, read the news hourly and edited and produced sound actualities.
Editor, The North Liberty Leader, January 1994 – August 1995.
Wrote, photographed, edited, and produced all aspects of the weekly newspaper covering the cities of North Liberty, Tiffin, and Oxford, Iowa. Managed office staff and stringers and wrote and designed ads.
Columnist and Editorial Writer, Icon and The Daily Iowan newspapers, Sept. 1993 – February 1997.
Reporter/Photographer, Brooklyn Chronicle and Victor Echo, July 1993 – Nov. 1993.
General assignment reporter and photographer for Brooklyn, Iowa and Victor, Iowa weekly newspapers.
Special Correspondent, Richmond Times-Dispatch, June 1992 – July 1993.
Contributed news and feature articles to the “Young Virginians” section of Richmond’s daily newspaper.
Copy Editor and Researcher, VA. F.R.E.E. July 1991 – June 1993.
Researched and proofread reports on state legislature and legislation for a nonpartisan, pro-business political research company, Virginia Foundation for Research and Economic Education.
Samuel DeWitt Proctor School of Theology, Va. Union University,
Richmond, Virginia, May 2009. Master of Divinity.
Baptist Theological Seminary at Richmond,
Richmond, Virginia, January 2006- September 2007.
Virginia Commonwealth University
Richmond, Virginia, August 1993. B.S. Mass Communications with a concentration in Broadcast News.
- Virginia Recreation and Parks Society, Best Promotional Effort Award, Electronic Media, 2005.
- Virginia Recreation and Parks Society, Best Promotional Effort Award, Basic Promotional Piece, 2005.
- President’s Choice Award, Virginia Speakers Association, 2001.
- Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence Award for editorial writing, 1994.
Television and Radio Commercials
- Writer, Producer, Director; Postcards Home – Love, Virginia.
- Writer, Producer, Director; Va. State Parks 75th Anniversary.
- Writer, Producer; I Love Virginia State Parks.
- Writer, Producer, Director; Rediscover Va. State Parks with Gov. Tim Kaine.
- Writer, Producer, Director; 70th Anniversary, Virginia State Parks.
- Producer, Director; That Winning Feeling, with NASCAR driver Ward Burton, Virginia State Parks. (Winner, Virginia Recreation and Parks Society, Best Promotional Effort Award Electronic Media, 2005)
- Producer, Director; That Winning Feeling, with Gov. Mark R. Warner.
- Writer, Producer, Director; Your Door to So Much More; Virginia State Parks.
- Writer, Producer, Director; All Natural Ingredients, Virginia State Parks.
Soar to Success the Wright Way, Meisner Publishing, Richmond, Va., Dec. 2003.
American Revolutionaries and Founders of the Nation, Enslow Publishers, New Jersey, July, 1999.
Past Professional Activities
- Public Relations Committee Chair, Virginia Speakers Association. 2000-2001.
- Instructor, John Tyler Community College, 1999-2001.
- Member, Virginia Government Communicators, 1997-2000.
- Publicity Committee member, Iowa Children’s Museum, 1996-1997.
Selected published magazine and newspaper articles
New Age for Seniors, Richmond, Virginia Night Moves, Richmond, Virginia
Richmond Times-Dispatch, Richmond, Virginia Grassroots, Richmond, Virginia
Victor Echo, Victor, Iowa Persimmon Hill, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Health & Fitness Digest, Charlottesville, Virginia Recreation News, Washington, D.C.
The Ketch Pen, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Intracomm, Richmond, Virginia
Writers Journal, Arden Hills, Minnesota Domestique, Indianapolis, Indiana
Shaffer Court Connections, Richmond, Virginia Virginia Explorer, Martinsville, Va.
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Milwaukee, Wisconsin Solon Economist, Solon, Iowa
Hundreds of news releases published in newspapers and magazines across the country.
References available upon request